Tuesday, 26 April 2016

I'm Making a Quilt!


What feels like forever ago (I think back in the fall) I finally asked Dave's mom to teach me how to make a quilt. Robin is one of those crazy talented crafty ladies who can knit the entire family sets of mittens and hats, make multiple quilts a year, and even make Ukranian easter eggs but when you exclaim how amazing this all is she'll just brush it off and say something like "Oh, I just followed a pattern!" or "It's really not that difficult".  Psssht! That woman is a handicrafts master.

Quilts are a big thing in Daves family. They have quilts from generations ago that were all hand stitched and made out of old sheets. We were given a quilt for our wedding (that Robin made). And Iris was given a baby one when she was born too. I pretty much married into the family for the quilts. Obviously. 

When I had first started making my own I had visions of having it done in a few weeks. Heck, I was planning all the quilts I would make for Christmas gifts! Well, the great (and kinda bummer) thing about making a quilt is that you can't rush it. I wouldn't say it's hard to make one, but it sure takes a lot of time. It's been one of those projects I pick up and do a little bit of here and there. Right now I have about 10 more pinwheel squares to make before I can move on to sewing them all together.


My favourite part about making a quilt? Picking out all the fabric for sure. Fabric can get pricey so I thrifted as much as I could, plus Robin gave me lots from her stash and then I filled in the rest with fabric from a store.

My least favourite part? Cutting the fabric. Bah! So much precision is needed! I've never been one of those "measure twice, cut once" people so I've struggled with all the cutting that is initially involved.

Now that it's really starting to come together I'm getting more excited to finish it. I've found myself sneaking downstairs during nap time to sew a few squares here and there. I'm looking forward to sharing the finished product :)









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...